Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Day in My Life

Training starts at 8am, so I usually get up around 6am.  I start the tea kettle going, to boil water for breakfast, doing the dishes and bathing.  Then I head to the pit latrine, once the sun is up a little bit, which is pretty close to 6am.  I eat breakfast, which usually entails weet-bix, oatmeal or eggs/toast, and coffee.  Then I bucket bathe and get dressed for school.  I’m not really a fan of bucket bathing yet, but once I get to my permanent placement, I will be able to set up my solar shower, which will be a big improvement.  Then I walk either up to the store about five minutes away to catch a koombi to the college or walk another five minutes to the homestead where my teacher is staying for language class.  There are about 5 to a class, and two classes meet at our homestead.  If in the village, we usually walk over to meet the other half of Makhonza for a cross culture session after a couple hours of language.  It’s a nice 15 minute walk through a valley and some fields.  We usually get done around 3:30/4:00, and walk home.  Quite often those of us who live close by will get together for an hour or so to talk or play hearts.  We all try to get home before it gets dark at 5/5:30.  Days are getting longer, which is very nice without electricity.  I usually get home and cook dinner, right now I am keeping it very simple, rice and beans, soup, PB&J, etc.  I don’t want to have any food left when I move to my permanent site.  After dinner, I get in bed and read for a while, although I usually go to sleep between 8 and 9.  I actually really like the schedule; I’m getting plenty of sleep, and don’t miss staying up late at all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment